- Analyze blueprints, specifications, proposals, and other documents to prepare time, material, equipment, production, and labor estimates.
- Prepare preliminary estimates for planning purposes and detailed estimates based on final plans and specifications.
- Consult with clients, vendors, and others to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Maintain current and accurate information on prices from suppliers and contractors through direct contact and written materials.
- Prepare bid packages, estimates and analysis of subcontractor bids for projects of any size and complexity.
- Manage projects awarded from scheduling, resource allocation, cost projections, and billing.
- Check daily cost sheets for correctness, compliance with estimated cost, and if over budget, find out why and report to management.
- Prior to job startup, review with the job foreman the project plans, specifications and review the project startup list to ensure that each item is done, ie. dig line has been contracted.
- Assist Estimating by providing feedback on job progress as opposed to as estimated.
- Assist Estimating as available by performing field measurements determining sources.
- Check that foreman’s job quantities are correct and submitted to Estimating; remember they will generate the invoice based on what you report.
- Maintain, in conjunction with the hot plant operator, adequate oil supplies and fuels to meet the project’s needs. Review Hot plant reports, crusher reports, job reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or other related field.
- 5+ years of construction estimating experience is preferred; or an equivalent of education and experience will be accepted.
- DOT Federal Highway Experience Preferred
- Asphalt/paving experience